Mittwoch, 2. November 2011

One Band Karolina

Q: What do you do? If student, what do you study, and where? If working, in what field?

A: I'm actually from Berlin and came to Vienna to study theater-film and media science and philosophy at the main university.

Q: What is your interest in electronic music? What kind of music do you listen to? what genres, name some artists you like.

A: I want to understand how this music functions, mainly I want to get a technical access to it. Actually I'm bad at names, so DJ-ing is not on the top of things I want to do, rather to learn the basics, the technical know how of the Ableton-software in order to produce stuff on my own.

At the moment I'm tending more to listen to more playful electronic music with vocals like Hype Williams! The flow and lightness of their sound is special! Disco, Chicago house are really danceable to me like Mr. Fingers- Tevo Howards, is someone who I admire on that field. Minimal techno, Detroit deep house, Dubstep either - I like Omar S, Magda, Instramental also Rodhead, Phono. And of course the releases/ artists by Ostgut Ton. I like a lot of different stuff actually.

Q: What is your opinion about the "Paradox of Feminism" as a theme for our workshop series?

A: To your blog entry: Why are independent, creative women "ashamed" to call themselves feminists - I noticed that too. For example, a lot of my friends, which I would also describe with those attributes, being feminist means to them fighting besides frustrated unhappy women: "So you are making music with those women?" WTF.

Their impressions about feminists work are really a pity, even though they themselves are women and academics. I think this workshop is a possibility to show what "cool feminists" are doing and to perceive it in another context. Like in other political sections, there isn't just one way to get attention about things that are going wrong.

They also said feminist ambitions means reproducing more cliches and stereotypes than to change or delete them. Well, I guess that is where we are now, and its a long way but I'm sure things will change by time the more people recognize the possibilities.

And yeah, maybe it is really because of the heavy vinyl-bags as the Guardian article said.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen